Saturday, September 28, 2013

On our way

Today started with me flying the second leg of my trip from Dubai to Manchester. Not a bad flight - daylight flight and all that.



Met up with brother John at the airport and we caught the train from the airport to Manchester, and Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent. We met up with Stan on the boat and then walked to the shops to stock up on basics. As we walked home I was trying to find a SIM card for my iPad, but to no avail and eventually the other two returned to the boatyard and I waked into Stoke. It was a very long walk and I was ready for a hot shower when I got back. But the engine needs to be run to heat the water, so we started up.
We had initially thought that we would spend the first night in the boatyard, but the rental company moved it to a mooring outside the yard. Of course once we started the engine something in us said "let's get going" so we made our way south through the first three of the Stoke flight of locks. They were fairly straight-forward and we were able to teach Stan the principles. 



3 comments:

  1. Great to know you're on your way, and to have had a chat with all three men in the boat. Neat looking interior. I need to see your route - silly, I should have made a copy before you left.
    I also hope you have a warm night - you're actually only 1 degree cooler than us right now. Sleep we'll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...my questions are born out of complete ignorance! 1. What if someone wishes to pass you? 2. Any other transports on this waterway ~ kayaks, canoes, inner tubes, surfboards, etc? 3. Do you each have a sleeping cabin? 4. Enough heated water for 3 showers?

    I like the mop on the roof ~ adds character! Thank you for creating this blog, Rob. And tell my wonderful husband to phone home! Hope you all wake up refreshed and in the proper time zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess Stan belongs to you - EllyB! Hi - I've. Been left behind by Rob.
    I also like the mop, it kind of means business!
    In comment of your questions - this pic is in a lock, which usually only takes one boat at a time, on the canal proper, there is plenty of room to pass.
    Hope your time at home is happily spent

    ReplyDelete